Bun 1.0 is here
The new performance focus wave? Yes, I hope
I’m just speechless 😮
You can obtain a lot at basically zero cost.
It’s fast as ⚡, 🔥, 🚄, 🚀
What is Bun?
They describe it perfectly on their website.
Why is important?
Nodejs has been with us for many years now. As much as they try to improve it, its creator also decided to create an alternative that tries to solve all its problems. I’m talking about Deno.
I hope that this will be the starter of a new era of optimized runtimes.
Also for other languages.
Python 3.11 was a blast when talking about performance improvements, but now Bun raises the level for every other language.
Some quick info from the video
- It’s fully compatible with vanilla Nodejs.
- A simple helloworld program
console.log("Hello world");takes 8ms in Bun, in Nodejs it takes 32ms.
- Support for CommonJS and ESM
- Hot reloading with
bun --hot server.ts
- Plugin API (there is a plugin to import Rust files 🦀)
Bun.fileto lazy load files
- Writes 3x faster than Nodejs
- Reads 10x faster than Nodejs
- Can handle 4x number or requests
- All the mainstream frameworks and tools are working out of the box
- It is also a package manager that install 29x faster than npm and 17x than pnpm
The outcome for me
I need to test it ASAP and try to replace Node. No more transpiling and faster execution. I can drop some dependencies.
It seems too good to be true.
What do you think about this release?